On Monday 10 June 2002 03:55 pm,Joel Hammer wrote:
> You may recall the Japanese in WW II tried to firebomb the USA
> Northwest by sending over incendiary ballons. I am not kidding.

While this is probably well-known now, during WWII, it was kept out of
the newspapers and radio so that the Japanese would not know that they
had been successful in their attempt.  The ballon/bomb combinations
were designed to use the jetstream and were programmed and controlled
by adjusting hydrogen pressure and releasing sandbags.  The only
mainland American casualties of the war (except those of course caused
by many accidents) were a family that came upon one of these things
unexploded in the woods in Oregon.

--
Tony Alfrey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]