On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Douglas J Hunley wrote:

> Keith Antoine spewed electrons into the ether that resembled:
> > What is /dev/shm anyway?
> > Other than that I have two folders in / that I am unsure of /auto is
> > suposedly empty and I cannot delete it. I also have a /tftpboot which has a
> > depth of folers but does not seem to have a boot in it.

AFAIK, /auto was intended to be used by auto-mounting services like "amd"
and "autofs".  Stretching for this one.

/tftpboot  is required if you'll be setting up the host to act as a
tftp (trivial ftp) server.  My experience with this is centered around the
management of core network devices that can read/write configs and accept
software updates for their firm/soft ware.  For me, that is writing
configs and updating IOS for Cisco Systems equipment.

> shared memory. the kernel uses it for IPC communicatins and other socket type
> things. You can use it for temporary places too.. it's a ramdisk (kinda).
> I currently do this on the mothership:
> mkdir -p /dev/shm/tmp /dev/shm/var/lock /dev/shm/var/run
> mount --bind /dev/shm/tmp /tmp
> mount --bind /dev/shm/var/lock /var/lock
> mount --bind /dev/shm/var/run /var/run
>
> this makes /tmp, /var/lock, /var/run all ramdisks , amazingly fast, and they
> clean themselves out when you reboot. also, they don't take up an disk space
> - --

That's why I'm a mail list junkie.  Learns all sorts of neat/cool stuff
everyday.