Umm I have just spent a frustrating few days trying to figure out why my dia
compile wasn't working... It wasn't until I read a sams unix in 24hrs (yeah
right) book that explained what a makefile was did I know where to start...
It was a simple back slash that was the problem causing a comment to run on
to the cpp define statements.

Wrong:
#               charconv.c \
#               charconv.h \
CPPFLAGS = $(LIBART_CFLAGS) \
-DLIBDIR=\"$(libdir)\" \
-DDATADIR=\"$(pkgdatadir)\"

Right:
#               charconv.c \
#               charconv.h
CPPFLAGS = $(LIBART_CFLAGS) \
-DLIBDIR=\"$(libdir)\" \
-DDATADIR=\"$(pkgdatadir)\"

My question is can anyone recommended a good book that discusses and explains
gnu make automake autoconf libtool and the macro language and syntax of
aclocal etc?...

I'm not a complete idiot so I need a book for "people who aren't complete
idiots" not a for dummies or such.

--
  James McDonald
  MCSE (Windows 2000/NT4), CCNA, CCA, MCP + I