What may be the best thing about this is that it represents a source of
fairly cheap systems where everything works with Linux--nothing to stop you
from buying one of these and installing your favorite distribution.  The
timing is kind of interesting, since availability of these almost coincides
with Mandrake disappearing from the software shelves at Walmart's stores.

It will also be interesting to see how they do the Mandrake-loaded
systems.  When they first sold these systems w/o OSs, they were criticized
because they had modems that wouldn't work with Linux, and they promised to
fix that.  I had assumed that meant they would do different winmodems that
had good Linux support, and selling them with Lindows didn't suggest I was
wrong.  But Mandrake seems to disdain support for winmodems--so that
implies either getting an easily-installed driver set up (and hopefully
available!) or that they are using "real" modems.

At 12:03 AM 7/12/02 -0400, Joel Hammer wrote:
>If Walmart can get people to use linux on the desktop, we should all be
>grateful. This "superior" attitude of some linux users vis a vis the ordinary
>user is simply inappropriate.

I was going to comment on this, but thought that would be inappropriate.

>I haven't tried lindows although I might. If the  program warehouse
>really works (Imagine, certified software that works. Is this really true?)
>I'll be interested in it for a desktop machine, not a server.

It actually sounds like this is a substitute for having to have 3-5 install
CDs, and makes it really problematic to use with a stand-alone box or one
with a dial-up Internet connection.

>The "Walmart crowd" is a very large segment of the buying public. I say
>welcome to them!
>
>Joel

Stuart Biggerstaff

Linda Hall Library of Science Engineering & Technology
5109 Cherry St.
Kansas City, MO 64110

Phone:  (816) 926-8748
         (800) 662-1545 x748