Pam,

> I don't quite understand what the fuss is all about, to quote
> from MS's
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2002/jul02/0724pal
> ladiumwp.asp
> "
<SNIP>
> "Palladium" is an opt-in system.

<SNIP>

> Turning "Palladium" completely off includes turning it off in
> hardware, which
> prevents any software from turning it back on. Users have the
> ultimate
> control over their systems and their information; "Palladium"
> does not entail
> any global requirements.
> "

I'm afraid we "colonials" quit believing those kinds of lines when someone
told us they'd never tax our tea.  ;-}>

<RANT>
Seriously, though, unless I inspect the microcode in the chip I won't
believe that it can be turned off in such a manner that it won't look for
compatible software on the machine.  Without that assurance, it doesn't
matter what "off" means.  The people proposing Palladium have proven over
and over again that they cannot be trusted with security measures.  When I
run their software (as I must at work) I am continually confounded by the
attitude that they *know* what is best for me, regardless of what options I
have selected.  I've yet to meet a customer who demanded a back door in
their software that allows hackers (and the control-freak corporation) to
come in and "fix" things when no one is looking.
</RANT>

Those new Macs are looking better.  Especially since you never have to worry
about the IRQs.

In Harmony's Way, and In A Chord,

Tom  :-})

Thomas A. Condon