On Friday 20 September 2002 07:54 am, Bob Raymond wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 13:39, Tim Wunder wrote:
<snip>
> > OK. From what I've read on GenToo, I need to boot into it to install. If
> > I can install GenToo in a spare partition while keeping my *real* system
> > running, I'm interested. Please enlighten me further. Ping me off list
> > if you like.
>
> Pretty simple- create a filesystem on the spare partition, mount the
> Gentoo CD and the new filesystem, cd to the new filesystem, unpack the
> stage1, 2, or 3 tarball of your choice from the CD into the new
> partition, and chroot to your Gentoo partition.  Then you get to start
> downloading the portage tree, bootstrapping, building a new kernel, and
> having fun seeing what packages are there (my favorite ebuilds for KDE
> CVS will probably never make it into the portage tree).

So, if I understand you correctly, I can just make my partitions, unpack the
stage3 tarball, chroot to it and accomplish the same thing. Or, do I *really*
need the GenToo CD?

Regards,
Tim

--
Caldera eWorkstation 3.1+, kernel 2.4.18-preempt, KDE 3.0.3, Xfree86 4.1.0
  8:00pm  up 20:46,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00