Bob Raymond wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-10-06 at 12:29, Collins wrote:
>
>>Unlike my experiences with the 2.3.x development series (which
>>seemed better and faster than 2.2.x stable series), I have yet to
>>read about anything in 2.5.x that makes me want to swim in this
>>pond before it is  2.6 or 3.0.  Have you found any great benefits?
>

> Sound is much better.  I'm not sure whether I'm getting slower
> performance because of XFS or not, but that code seems to be relatively
> volatile right now.  Since you're using ext3, I don't see where you'd
> have any problems, but I think I'm not going to touch it again until the
> XFS code has stabilized a bit more.  Others on LKML have reported more
> zip, even on 486 25mhz machines with 8 mb and 0 swap, than 2.4.19.
>
> Bob Raymond

XFS code is pretty stable as is, which is why it was included into the
kernel at .39. There is, however, a development tree which will most
likely be what's in 2.6. If you're really after cutting edge XFS see the
announcement:
<quote>
Ok so we are making progress toward actually getting a 1.2 release
ready.
ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/Release-1.2pre1/

Currently the for this pre-release only a single patch'em all patch is
available. The command are split up as usual into rpm's src.rpm's and
tar balls.

We are still chasing several bugs in this code base, they are very
obscure end case problems so most people won't hit them.

Please pound on, run over, throw things etc. and report problems, success
weather conditions.

The installer iso is also available. I will install a system that looks
and feels similar to a RedHat (tm) 8.0 system.
NOTE NOTE NOTE
This is probably going to be the only spin of the installer iso,
as the amount of effort is not trivial.

A few known problems exist and will probably not be fixed unless
somebody wants to send in a fix.
   1) Grub does not install correctly during the install, anybody
wishing  to use grub should select lilo initially for the boot loader
and them install grub once the system is up.

   2) Upgrades on system with labels in the fstab do not work, this is
problem with anaconda and is not easily fixed. The workaround for this
is to change the fstab to contain the actual device names before
attempting the upgrade.

   3) The text version of the installer is not able to do partitioning.
This is probably a trivial bug in anaconda but we just don't have time
to look at it.
</quote>
--
Andrew Mathews