On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 09:25:16AM +0800, m.w.chang wrote:
>sorry, I forgot that my ISP PCCW-IMS blocked outgoing port 25 (as a kind
>of spam control from customer hosts). fixed. sorry... sorry...

Blocking port 25 outbound is one of the most effective methods of limiting
direct spamming from dialups.  For every Linux user who can maintain a
reasonably secure mail server there are probably 100,000 clueless Windows
users (but I repeate myself) who have no legitimate reason to send to any
server other than their ISP's.

We generally set up our customer who're running on cable connections to
send/receive their e-mail through our servers using uucp over tcp/ip which
sidesteps all these problems, and eliminates their dependency on the cable
provider's mail sysetm.

Bill

``The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and
hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins.''
   -- H.L. Mencken, 1923