no. not 'make'.  `make bootstrap`
linux-sxs.org has an article on compiling gcc. read it first.
it worked for me.

> I did not read this anywhere yet.  It seemed to be spelled out
> pretty well on the installing GCC configuration page as simply;
> configure
> make
> make install.

linux-sxs' article  didn't used these 5 options....the rest are similar.

>        --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs
>        --with-included-gettext
>        --with-gnu-as=/usr/i386-linux/bin
>        --with-gnu-ld=/usr/i386-linux/bin
>        --enable-threads=posix

I rather follow traditions and install everything below /usr.
you can always reinsatll the old gcc without ill effects after removing
the new version. also, learn to use checkinstall-1.5.2, It's a great
tool to build rpm using the output of `make install`.

> I editted the /etc/config.d/shells/bashrc
> file, and altered the statement for the enviroment from
> /usr/local/bin, to /usr/local/gcc-2.95.3/bin.

ldconfig -v

> Since I did not know the command to re-read the ld.so.  cache,

i don't think reboot can force a ldconfig -v .. not sure.. maybe your
linux distribution do things differently.

--
  Swiftly. Silently. Invisibly.  .~.   In Linux we trust.
                                / v \