On Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:40:42 -0400
begin  Matthew Carpenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:

> Now I have never run into a problem with this, since Linux drivers seem
> to autonegociate pretty well even with 3com cards  :)
> But I would like to know if anyone can tell me just how you set a NIC to
> be hard-coded at 100/FD...  I ran across my first case of needing to do
> this today, as we have a linux box plugged into a Cat2900 with 100/FD
> non-auto settings for the port.  Taking care of this was as easy as
> setting the switchport to auto and bouncing the interface, HOWEVER, that
> is against the corporate standards, so I need to know how to do this in
> the future without fiddling with the switch.

well, the actual command is:
ifconfig eth0 blah blah media 100baseT

just add the "media 100baseT" to your ifconfig arguments.

Note:  in almost 100% of the cases, the command will fail with a:
SIOCSIFMAP: Operation not supported
error.  Most cards _must_ autonegotiate.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                -- Nemesis Racing Team motto