I'm compiling the newly released kde 3.0.4 source code and I've been making some
notes along the way.

The one thing I noticed during the configure phase of kdebase... there was a
complaint about not finding java.lang and a note about classpath being set
correctly...

Lo and behold, my classpath didn't include the needed .jar file. Adding this to
the compile script eliminated the complaint. (I'm using the sun 1.41 sdk, so
mangle as needed).

CLASSPATH=/opt/j2sdk1.4.1/jre/lib/rt.jar

export $CLASSPATH