Actually, it is not a library but a librarian (or in more common
terms, a library manager).
the .pc files are simple text files telling of the locations of WHERE
the actual libraries
are located. I dunno WHY ldconfig will not work with some OF these
applications,
but for some brain-dead reason someone invented a NEW way to mangle
library locations
as well as other pertant information.

I suppose it IS someones way to give a common ground for source level
installs.

Example being for the gtk+ library, and called accordingly "gtk+.pc" :

prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include

Name: GTK+
Version: 1.2.10
Requires: gdk
Libs: -L${libdir} -lgtk
Cflags:

--
Ben Duncan   Phone (601)-355-2574     Fax (601)-355-2573   Cell
(601)-946-1220