On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:38:07 -0500
begin  Ben Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:

> And the web spewed forth the electronics:
>
> David A. Bandel wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:57:08 +0800
> > begin  "m.w.chang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:
> >

> >>just converted by inetd to xinetd-2.9.3
> >>it's a simple process. should I write about it?
> >>
> >>anyway, will inetd (ie, netkit-base) support ipv6?
> >

> > absolutely -- if you configure and build for it.  I'm running ipv6 w/
> > a connection to Freenet and using radvd.  No problems.  Now, you also
> > have to have programs capable of using ipv6 (i.e., built for it), you
> > have to have a tunnel to the sixbone, and you have to query a bind-9
> > server for ipv6, etc.
> >
> > Ciao,
> >
> > David A. Bandel
>

> And Ben Scratches his head an for once is buffaloed by techincal
> jargon TLA ....
> gessss ... I AM getting to old for this ...

You're younger than I am, so I don't want to hear it.

To run the "new improved" ipv6 you need a few things:
1.  kernel compiled for ipv6
2.  apps/services compiled for ipv6
3.  a way to connect to an ipv6 network (an ipv4 tunnel)
and if you want any connected hosts beyond the router to get to the 6bone,
you also need a (r)outer (adv)ertisement (d)eamon (radvd)
4.  you'll also need to resolve ipv6 addresses, so you must run BIND v9
(v8 won't do AA RRs).

What did I forget?  Oh yeah, ipv4 is 32 bits long (4 octets, separated by
dots), ipv6 is 128 bits (16 octets, separated by colons).  If v4 netmasks
gave you headaches ... (guess that's why it's all automated).

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                -- Nemesis Racing Team motto