This is definitely a hardware issue, seeing as how its reproducable across
different OS's.  I suspect the power outage fried something, the question
now is what.  I'd suggest running memtest86 for at least 24 hours.  This
might help pin down the source of the problem.  Alternatively, if you have
spare memory, try swapping known good memory into the system, and see if
the instability persists.  Right now, i'm leaning towards either the
memory or CPU as the culprits.