OK, I'm puzzled by this. Can anyone explain?

I installed RH8 from ISOs I downloaded. I verified each ISO file and they were all
good. I then burned CD's 1, 2 and 3 to CDR and attempted to verify them in the
following ways:
1. Performed 'diff /dev/cdrom /path/to/downloaded.iso'
2. Performed 'md5sum /dev/cdrom'
3. Performed 'dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/some/file.iso' and ran md5sum on /some/file.iso

In each case, for all three downloads, the CDRs were deemed to be different from the
ISO files. As a result, I re-burned CD1 (at a more conservative 4x instead of 8x) and
performed all the same tests. It too, found the burned CDR to be different from the
ISO file.

I then tested the two files created from both copies of CD1, using dd, and both had
the same md5sum, which was different from the source ISO file. I then made the bold
assumption that two bad burns couldn't have the same md5sum and determined that the
burns *must've* been ok. Which doesn't make sense either.

So, I decided to try the disks anyway to see what would happen. As it turns out,
RedHat provides a disk check at the beginning of the install process. I put each of
the 3 disks thru redhat's disk check, and each passed the test. I then continued with
the install process and managed to get RH8 installed onto 2 different machines using
these disks (an AMD Athlon 950 and a K6 450).

Is there any logical explanation why the md5sum of a properly burned CD of an ISO file
would have a *different* md5sum than the ISO file? Until recently, I would've said no,
the CDR and the ISO should have the same md5sum. But my experience with these RH8 ISOs
seems to contradict that.

Regards,
Tim