On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 06:34:01PM +0800, m.w.chang wrote:

> I just learnt that ping required suid to work. is  there a non-suid
> version of ping out there? SING, nmap also needed root to run.

ping tries to drop root on systems where it is safe to do so. However,
opening certain sockets requires root access. Perhaps one of the BSDs
has a ping you can use.

> under window$, ping.exe can be execuated anytime. I don't know how TCP
> experts look at the difference.

Right, but Windows has a, um, "different" security model.

Kurt
--
He's the kind of guy, that, well, if you were ever in a jam he'd be
there ... with two slices of bread and some chunky peanut butter.