oh, man. what a week.

linux and main got really hammered by the slashdot effect monday; the
site stayed up but the mysql server checked out early on, so there
wasn't much to deliver.

turns out that phpnuke makes about *fifty* queries for every page
that's served, which in my view is unconscionably sloppy, but i don't
know what i can do about it in the short term.

we've been looking at jpcache (www.jpcache.com), and it shows great
promise but for the fact that it will not take "no gzip" for an
answer -- the browser's "accept encoding" setting apparently
overrides it. which would not be a problem except that our apache,
over which we do not have control, has mod_gzip enabled, with the
result that we're not sending content but gzipped content which
apache gzips again, with the result that garbage arrives at the
reader's desktop.

i suspect that somebody who really knows his way around php could do a
very good hack of jpcache that removes all references to gzip, or a
quick and dirty hack which forces the thing to a value where it
believes that the browser will not accept gzipped stuff, whereupon
apache would gzip where appropriate not not gzip where appropriate.

it's not a very big file -- 500 lines or so -- but i have no clue as
to php syntax. (i imagine that all we want it to do could be done in
100 lines or less, because we know the answer to those lines and
lines of "if" statements, so there's no "if" about it.)

anybody around here capable of doing this? we have no money, but if
you pull it off we'll sing your praises.
--
dep

http://www.linuxandmain.com -- outside the box, barely within the
envelope, and no animated paperclip anywhere.