If they run Samba or are a Windows box, I always do the following:

# nmblookup -A <ip-address>

Actually, not helping you but to disperse the information, here is the
actual script I use, since I run on a network with multiple WINS servers
and like to lookup using either name or IP without worrying about syntax:

~/bin/nmbcheck
--------------
#!/bin/bash
IPADDY=`echo "$*" | grep "^[0-9]*\.[0-9]*\.[0-9]*\.[0-9]*$"`
if [ .$IPADDY == . ] ; then
        echo "Executing CIFS Query on HOSTNAME"
        nmblookup -R -S -U <wins-server> $*
else
        echo "Executing CIFS Query on IP Address"
        nmblookup -R -U <wins-server> -A $*
fi

Try it out.  It's very nice.  Not only does it tell you the name of the
machine, but the workgroup/domain name and whoever is logged into it (if
it's Winblows).

-Matt