is this related to the smrsh? I think my sendmail is still running as root...

root 5165 0.0 0.6 3820 860 ? S Oct13 0:00 sendmail: accepti

I am not following all the instructions in the sxs yet. smrsh is not as trivial as it looks for newbies like me.

authinfo (I'm going from memory here) no longer works.  It been replaced
by a tag with similar data in the access database.  The access directive
has new parameters.  Also, sendmail can't access the /etc/sasldb file
since only root has permission to do that.  Changing the permission causes
complaints that the file has wrong permissions.  You can work around this
by including a DontBlameSendmail directive in sendmail.mc.

--
 Swiftly. Silently. Invisibly.  .~.   In Linux we trust.
                               / v \