On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:41:41 -0500
Joel Hammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I base this on my lexmark printer. It has good linux support, but, I seem
> to recall from the documentation, that for high quality photo printing the
> linux drivers might not be the best choice. I hope I am wrong about that.
> I do know that two way communication is required for best quality
> printing, and you can't get that with a samba served printer. So, maybe
> that is where that impression comes from.

I don't think that is the issue. After all, samba does not support two way
communication with the printer because SMB does not. So, any network printer
on a Windows network would be in the same position.

As to communication, it only effects print quality in that with
communication you can determine when the printer needs, say, a new print
cartridge. If your printer is set up correctly (has the paper type and size
you claim in your setup, and had adequate and appropriate ink) then you are
set. As said elsewhere here, the specific Linux driver used for your printer
is most likely the biggest variable here.

--
| Roger Oberholtzer          |   E-mail:        [EMAIL PROTECTED] |