Got an Optiplex GX400 here that is going out the door to one of my cleints.
It is a P4 1.4GHZ with 768MB ram, 80GB IDE, CD-RW/DVD, on-board
AC'97 sound, 3Com905 chipset and 2 USB hubs (4 USB device connections).

I have added a Tekram DC395 to run a DDS 4 4MM tape drive as well as a
DigiBoard EP/X PCI attached to a 16 Port serial controller (To drive a bunch of
High-End Dot matrix Printers).

I have SuSe 8.0 with all the current patches installed from SuSe as well as the
kernel.org USB patch set and the additional scanner.x pre 20.

Now, the USB view reports that there is a scanner attached. It is a HP Model 2200C,
and has the LM9832 Scanner chipset, so it uses the Plustek drivers. All regular
USB probing shows the scanner is there and is attached. Doing a
sane-find-scanner reports:

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x0605) at /dev/usb/scanner0
found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x0605) at /dev/usbscanner
found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x0605) at /dev/usbscanner0
# Your USB scanner was detected. It may or may not be supported by

# Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports can't be
# detected by this program.

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
# found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
# necessary.

Now, when I run scanimage -L for the first time reports:

device `plustek:/dev/usbscanner' is a Hewlett-Packard Scanjet 2200c USB flatbed
scanner

Any other attempts after that results in a :

[plustek] This is not a LM9831 or LM9832 chip based scanner.
[plustek] open failed: -1
[dll] init: backend `plustek' is version 1.0.0
[plustek] sane_get_devices (0xbffff148, 0)

I can unplug and replug the USB scanner in, and then scanimage -L works, again, for the FIRST
time only. No amount of rebootin, hard powering off and any other attempts at hardware
reset will make it stay attached, and I always get and can repeat the same results.

Anyone got any Ideas on this problem ?

--
Ben Duncan Phone (601)-355-2574 Fax (601)-355-2573 Cell (601)-946-1220
Business Network Solutions