You will find the same with perl, or many other languages for that
matter. As work load increases time to completion increases
exponetially. As for the speed between the two I really have no idea
but I know perl was made for file/directory reading and manipulation. I
again have no idea about shell scripts but there comes a time with perl
where you are better off forking to divide the work load.