> From: Jim Bonnet
 > you've lost me.. What are you trying to do?
 >
 > Are you just trying to clone a disk so that you can distribute that
 > clone to like hardware?

I'm cloning /dev/sda7 onto /dev/sdb such that I can then use
/dev/sdb as /dev/sda... in otherwords, I take a blank (or M$
infested) disk outa it's case, cable it up to a master system,
run an expect script that does fdisk, run a bash script that
does mkfs, mkswap, tar|tar, and lilo and then put the blank
disk into it's case... and then--voila!--I have a clone!

It's entirely possible... I figured it out... I have an expect
script to write the partition table and a bash script to do
the rest... the write-MBR-on-/dev/?db magic is...

 mount /dev/hdb1 /slave
 vi /slave/etc/lilo.conf # set...
   disk=/dev/hdb
   [...]
   root=/dev/hda1
 lilo -r /slave
 vi /slave/etc/lilo.conf # set...
   disk=/dev/hda
 umount /slave

I also have a (config) script that does kudzu, sets ip/domain
name, enables NIS/AFS, gens ssh keys, inits tripwire, and
the like.

I just cloned and configured a RedHat system (albeit a P4
2GHz with the case already open and a SCSI Ultra160 disk) in
just under *seven* minutes.  (I expect to bring up hundreds
of linux boxes for a compute cluster.)

If anyone wants to know more or see the scripts give me a shout.

~namaste~ (llama)

steve
- - -
systems & network guy