On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 04:43:23PM -0500, David A. Bandel wrote:

>On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 13:08:07 -0800
>begin  Bill Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:
>
>[snip]
>

>> Nobody who has the faintest clue about e-mail believes anything in the
>> From: or Reply-To: headers in spam since forging them is trivial.
>
>A properly configured sendmail server will not allow just anyone to
>rewrite the From: header.  Your mailer can change the Return-Path:, but
>not the From:.  Only defined trusted users can do this.  So either covad's
>mail server is misconfigured (everyone is trusted), or they're in on this.
> At the very least, the spam originated with them and they know who it is.

Very few MTAs check the From: headers in the message.  Better ones will
check the SMTP ``MAIL FROM:'', at least to verify that there are ``MX'' or
``A'' records for the domain part of the address.

A few cable companies refuse mail from their customers with anything in the
From: or Reply-To: headers that isn't in the cable company's domain (which
is why most of our customers on cable use uucp over tcp through our
servers, and don't use their provider's mail system for anything).

A huge portion of spam these days comes through misconfigured proxies or
open relays, or from huge spam factories in Florida where the industrial
strength spammers have bought their own ISPs.  In the case of the proxies
and open relays, do you expect them to get sendmail configured properly if
they can't close the relays?

About seven years ago we were mailbombed by a student at Georgia Tech,
filling the hard drives on two of our servers, and we spent an afternoon
educating a couple of local FBI agents on the ins and outs of Internet
mail.  They spent the next year making life difficult for the student, but
more as an educational exercise than anything else.  The agents said that
they normally don't pursue anything causing less than $5,000 damage.

Bill

Government is the great fiction, through which everbody endeavors to
live at the expense of everybody else.  -- Frederic Bastiat