On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 11:21:36PM -0500, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:

> > Is that what the error message says?
>
> Basically it couldn't mount device 8.0

"8,0" I dare say, but I digress.

> Yup, I posted too soon - after that I went to the SGI website and followed
> their directions for making a ram disk.  I didn't realize you could
> specifiy a kernel to run it against as I'd never done that.

Nifty feature, that. If you think about it, it makes sense, though.
How else do you create an initrd for a kernel version you're not
already running? An egg-or-chicken problem.

> It boots now.  uname -a shows the SMP but it still shows as an i686:
>
> Linux strider 2.4.18-SGI_XFS_1.1smp #1 SMP Wed Apr 17 11:03:31 CDT 2002
> i686 unknown
>
> Is this normal for an SMP Athlon?  I double checked and I have the correct
> RPM - the athlon SMP one.

I've no idea.

> LILO is nice!  I ran the -t option with -v and it told me exactly what I'd
> messed up on a line.

Yup.

Kurt
--
Pohl's law:
        Nothing is so good that somebody, somewhere, will not hate it.