On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 09:04:17AM +0800, m.w.chang wrote:
>I am sorry, at this stage, I prefer to learn the programming and coding
>that *created* security. I don't learn security because of security,
>general. :)
>
>When I could control security by proper programming and coding,  I got
>secuity automagically.

Wrong!  Security is more a state of mind, and a way of doing things than
software.  It's very hard to break bad habits, not to mention that it's
easy enough to trash a system accidentally when running as root.

Many of the fundamental flaws in Microsoft's ``systems'' are the result of
people who don't understand or think about security.

DOS and Windows prior to NT/2000/SP have _NO_ security because they're
built on what was essentially a hobbyists BDPL (Brain Damaged Program
Loader) designed for a single user operating in isolation, not on a
network.  WinNT/2K/XP have the potential to be more secure, but Microsoft's
whole strategy of making things easy for the ignorant and lazy, and their
general lack of knowledge in building secure systems has resulted in
systems that average multiple major security holes found every month.

Security is more than anticipating cracking attempts, and includes
protecting against accidental damage ranging from normal fumble-fingering
to disk failures without proper verified backups.

Bill

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human.  At best he
is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not
make messes in the house.
                -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"