On 11/27/02 20:21, Collins wrote:
Tarballs I know and love, it's just that they require a lot of on the
side accounting to know what your mix-and-match system now consists
of.
That's kinda what /opt is for.

I'm looking for an easy way for anything new that comes out. I'm
still evaluating redhat from a practicality standpoint. As I
mentioned above, using gentoo I seldom had to wait more than a few
days (major packages like gnome, kde being the exception, and that's
because they're just plain screwy to upgrade) before finding 90% of
what I want prepackaged and compatible with my system from a standard
location.

A current example:

1. While looking into Flash Player, I noted that Mozilla 1.2 is now
avaiable.
2. I marched off to the download page and discovered that RH8.0 rpms
are available, so I downloaded them.
3. rpm tells me that the mozilla rpms require a different level of
glibc (I have glibc-2.2.5 but the rpms need glibc 2.3+.
4. Nothing here tells me whether it's practical to try and upgrade
glibc. I know from past experience that some glibc upgrades are ok
and that others will break my system.
5. Add to that the probability that the RH8.0 rpms were probably built
with a new compiler and would probably break my system even if the
glibc levels matched.
6. Yes I could possibly drag in the Mozilla SRPMS and screw around
with them (underline that several times!) to get this to work.

This is really a rant about distros in general. It seems that only
debian and gentoo have a very large base of available stuff ready to
install. I would get similar results with Mandrake or pick-a-distro. Just cough up more bucks and upgrade to the latest and greatest
profit-making version!

I know I've been told over and over what a POS gentoo is (a very few
of you know that not to be the case), but I will probably return to it
soon. It's just as reliable as what I'm running now and a hell of a
lot easier to upgrade.
Its an extremely rare occasion when i can't rebuild an SRPM. If the SRPM isn't available, or i can't rebuild it cleanly, checkinstall is always available.