C M Reinehr wrote:
Yes & no.  Before you blame your problems on Linux or Grub you should know
that there are no universal standards governing the way partitions are
defined and managed.  Different operating systems have different ways of
doing it. I can't remember where I read it, but a valuable bit of advice is
to use _only_ the partition tools provided with your operating system.
Using a partitioning tool from DR-DOS, to creat partitions, managed by a
third party product to be used for a M$ operating system & booted by a
Linux boot loader ...  See where this is going?  Before going any further I
stongly recommend some midnight reading from the Linux Documentation
Project: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/os.html#OSPARTITIONS
The documentation presumes only one DOS partition.

I guess it is MY fault for having the temerity to try running a multi-partition DOS HD slaved to a Linux-booted HD.
The only thing GRUB is doing is telling the BIOS that the slave is the master, so boot it from its MBR.
This does not explain why the partitions are duplicated.

--
Leon A. Goldstein