Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

I've got two systems running CUPS and I'm having trouble getting
them to share a printer.

Print server:
RH7.3, printer is on parallel:/dev/lp0, called HPLJ4M, configured
as HP LaserJet 4M, Foomatic + Postscript (because that's what
it is). It works fine.
CUPS: RedHat RPM, v 1.1.14
NICs:
eth0) DSL connection
eth1) internal LAN, 192.168.x.146
I think I have CUPS listening on both NICs, port 631 (ipp, right?).
The CUPS log files confirm this.

Print client:
COL 3.1.1 WS. I have tried configuring in several ways, most
recently as ipp://192.168.x.146:631/ipp/HPLJ4M, and notice that
this URI is changed by replacing "ipp:" with "http:" in the
admin display, although my input is the default the next time
through 'modify'. It is reported as busy...
CUPS: Caldera RPM, v 1.1.10-3
NICS:
eth0) internal LAN, 192.168.x.150

Problem: I cannot find a configuration on the client that seems to
connect to the server. I see nothing in the logs about attempts,
but I may not know where to look.

The client usually reports "Printer is busy; will retry in 10
seconds". The printer is idle, and I see no print jobs on the
server.

Anybody with a clue?

++ kevin

I run Slackware 8.1 on all my machines here. Setting up printing on the "server" was neet and simple, but setting up the client gave me all sorts of problems I hadn't encountered on previous setups. Finally I decided to give Webmin a shot and setup printing on the client machines . In the printer que (in your case) use HPLJ4M and your ip (192.168.X.X) of the server and of course a name for the printer. Give that a try and see what that does for you.

--
Ted Ozolins (VE7TVO)
Westbank, B. C.