I've been making slow progress with CUPS on my local net, but things
are still not right.  I'll just mention the two systems that matter most.

Right now, I have 1 system that can print on it's local printer using
CUPS.  We'll call this one system A.

The other system has a local printer, but cannot use it.  This doesn't
matter much because it's a WinPrinter POS, and not working well in the
best of times.  But it troubles me that 'ls | lpr' reports
   lpr: error - not default destination available.
when the CUPS admin page shows the attached printer /is/ the default.
I'll call this one system B.

More troubling is that system B is broadcasting printer info and
system A is not.  Accordingly, system A can see the printer on system B,
although attempts to print on that printer remain stuck in the queue
on system A indefinitely.  What I really want, though, is to use the
printer on system A from all other hosts; this isn't going to be
possible if those hosts cannot see it.

In cupsd.conf I've fooled with BrowserPoll and BrowseAddress to try to
get both systems to talk nice on the local LAN.  No soap.  Tcpdump shows
no broadcasts on either of the host's NICs.

Please don't tell me to upgrade. I may do that but not yet.  After all,
if the daemon isn't broadcasting at all, it's not a version problem.
If tcpdump shows broadcasting and it still doesn't work, I'll entertain
the idea.  Maybe.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD  (805) 650-6274  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Permanent e-mail forwarder: mailto:Kevin.O'[EMAIL PROTECTED]