Collins, my Z53 works on my older 1.4-rc1 Gentoo system.
cat xxx >/dev/lp0 does NOT work. I'm using:
glibc 2.2.5-r7
gcc 3.2-r1
enscript 1.6.3-r1
ghostscript 7.05.5
cups 1.1.16-r0
Lexmark linux drivers
lexmark-foomatic-kit from linuxprinting.org
I built a fresh system on another partition last week,
& havent been able to get the Lexmark to work.
Havent figured out the problem yet.
Hope this helps!

Tom