On Wednesday 01 January 2003 17:09 pm, Collins wrote:
> Memorable moments for me in 2002 included:
>
> * brief (2 months) daliance with a RedHat system.  It's not as bad as
> I had thought previously, and damn reliable (7.3 system).  As usual, I
> got tired of RPM really fast.

I never could get a warm feeling with RH.  Probably never will.

> * Return (probably permanently) to gentoo (1.4_rc1_rc2 system).  Still
> the best for my desktop needs.  Only needed to descend into RPM hell
> for one freaking package: Lexmark Z53 printer driver.  Lexmark gets
> kudos for making a Linux support package, however.

Whatever works for you is what is best.

> * A few more brave souls have strayed onto the gentoo pathway, and the
> cries of "you can take your gentoo and stuff it" have subsided. <g>

But we're still out here waiting for you to step over that 'Gentoo is the
world's best <fill in the blank> line'  again...  <g>

> * On the cusp of the new year I slayed the CUPS dragon and put up an
> lprng printing system (thanks to Joel's help)

More power to you... and I agree here.  But I intend to give CUPs a try
in the future to see what it's all about.

> * Also on the cusp, installed a scanner and the gimp and got it all
> working (USB novice).

Me too but it seems to be getting more solid.

> * Learned just today (well, that's not 2002 any more) the purpose for
> a fire breathing monster cpu!  On my lowly 800Mz unit, it takes 3-5
> minutes for gimp to repaint the screen with a 1200 dpi resolution
> image, and that's every time you switch desktops.

Haven't run into that but I just gave myself a Coolpix 2500 for Xmas so I
am sure I have more fun awaiting.

> * Affirmed my belief that this is still the best user group on the
> planet.  Lots of good info, and all the flames you can eat! <g>

And we're here to make you eat those flames....  <g>

> Here's hoping you all have a profitable, safe, and joyous new year.

And you too.....  (and stuff that Gentoo where the New Year will do it
some good!!)

+ Bruce S. Marshall  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Bellaire, MI         01/01/03
16:42  +