Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a good holiday.  I spent some time trying to get my
second PC installed with RH 8.0.  I had some problems that I was
wondering if anyone enountered or has any ideas about:

The machine is a Compaq Presario, 700 mhz AMD Duron, 256MB RAM, 20G HD.
 It has a usb keyboard and PS/2 wheel mouse and ran W2K. I wanted to
keep it dual boot in case of problems and because there were files that
I might need on it.   These are the steps I took to get linux
installed:

1) It used partition magic to create the initial set of partitions and
to squish windows into the first 7G, leaving the rest for linux.

2) Put RH 8.0 CD and rebooted machine.  The initial screen to boot off
the CD came up fine and I could type with no problem.

3) Next screen asking whether to verify the CD or skip froze solid.

I tried some other installing 7.3 using and when got a "kernel panic"
error right off on boot.  Then I thought, hmmm, usb keyboard?  I
removed the usb keyboard and put a generic non-usb keyboard on it;the
8.0 install went without a hitch.  So I know have a working 8.0 system
that I can experiment with networking and the like.  I also have my son
using it to browse the net :-)

But the real question for me is, why couldn't the installation deal
with the usb keyboard?  If I plug the keyboard back in, will it work?
I haven't found too much on usb keyboards on the web or on the SxS
site.

Thoughts?

=====