Wow, I've never heard of anyone being able to kill an LJIII.  They are
some of the most indestructible printers I've ever seen.  The easiest
way (once you've printed a test page to make sure the printer isn't well
and truly dead) is to plug it into a different machine.  Use a different
cable as well to make sure it isn't the cable.  You should know if
there's communication since the thing blinks whenever you send it
anything.  No blinky, no worky. ;)