Net Llama! wrote:
<snip>
I'm trying to setup rsync over ssh without giving the user a shell
account.  Unfortunately, setting the user's shell to /bin/false prevents
the rsync from running, as it fails with this error:
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12)
<snip>
From the rsync man page:
You can also specify an alternative to rsh, either by using the -e
command line option, or by setting the RSYNC_RSH environment variable.
One common substitute is to use ssh, which  offers  a  high  degree  of
security.
[....]
RSYNC_RSH
The RSYNC_RSH environment variable allows you  to  override  the
default  shell used as the transport for rsync. This can be used
instead of the -e option.
Have you tried this?

I think so, but i don'[ understand what its asking me to do.  I've set
RSYNC_RSH=ssh
but that's prolly not right. Would i set it to /sbin/nologin ?

I believe so. I'm pondering whether rsync would need to read from stdin which would increase the difficulty of using an account without a shell. Hmmm....

--
Andrew Mathews