On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Tony Alfrey wrote:
> > When its missing
> > some disks, is it reassigning the SCSI IDs accordingly to the disks
> > that it does see, or does it remember that the 'missing' ones exist,
> > and keep the ID assignments the same?
>
> I'm not sure.  It's hard for me to see SCSI ID assignments if I don't
> boot an OS so I can then run fdisk.  I'll try a setup screen on boot-up
> but the bios setup does not "know" about SCSI, only IDE.  The bios
> diagnostic screen on boot-up does not show SCSI ID numbers, just info
> about sectors, model number, etc.

It doesn't?  Every SCSI controller i've ever used displays the IDs of the
disks as it detects them.  Perhps you've disabled this in the SCSI
controller BIOS?

> > Are you seeing errors, or just
> > that sda is not being detected?  Do you need all the disks to boot
> > up?
>
> sda is the bootable drive (the one with a properly configured mbr) so if
> I don't get that one, I get zip.  Sometimes I get this one, sometimes
> not.  My boot manager in mbr (Boot Magic; just a chain loader) does not
> see the 'missing' disk partitions and then complains but will boot what
> it does see if I at least get sda.

Well, if you can completely remove everything but sda, that might help to
determine whether this is a power supply issue (possible, but i'd say
unlikely) or a SCSI controller issue.  Although if the SCSI controller is
starting to flake, i'd imagine that there should be some sense key errors
somewhere in dmesg or messages.