On Friday 31 January 2003 08:51 am, Andrew Mathews wrote:
> Tony Alfrey wrote:
> > Hi list;
> >
> > OK, still trying to first diagnose my mysterious disk controller
> > (?) problem.
> > Here is the behavior.
> > a)  Leave the computer with idle applications (text editor,
> > console, konqueror) on the screen and leave it overnight.
> > b) Come back in the morning.  Screensaver is running.
> > c) Move the mouse and a 'broken' desktop appears, mostly just a
> > blank screen, and the computer (mouse, keyboard) is frozen.
> > d) Press the 'reset' button to reboot (but leave the computer power
> > on). e) On reboot, one or more SCSI disks are not recognized.  That
> > is, the SCSI ID that is jumper selected on the drive is not seen at
> > all, as if the device were not even plugged into the SCSI cable.
> > Additionally, even if a bootable drive is actually recognized, the
> > mbr seems to be unreadable.
> > f) Ctrl-Alt-Del yields the same results.
> > g)  Finally, a full power off reboot fixes the problem.
> >
> > BTW, early in the morning before I check the computer, the cron
> > processes usually run so at least the mounted drive gets scanned at
> > that time.
>
> I've seen similar problems on HP machines that had an onboard SCSI
> controller as well as a pci SCSI controller. I had to disable the
> onboard controller and the problem disappeared. (and the disks
> didn't)

This is the first time I've had the problem in 4 years of using the box
with both controllers in but only one 'active'.  I'm going to run the
pci controller tonight and see if it works.  It makes me nervous to
have something unhappy on the motherboard even if I have a 'fix' for
the problem.

--
Tony Alfrey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]