snip...

>> I posted several times on the redhat psyche list that I was getting
>> these exact same problems but never received a reply.  I would also
>> fix it temporarily by doing an rpm --rebuilddb.
>>
>> I even ended up doing a complete fresh install and after a week the
>> problem starting showing up again.
>>
>> However, I use an Nvidia 440 card and had loaded the latest Nvidia
>> binary drivers (I think they're 4191).  I had experienced problems on
>> this same system under Win98 after I started using that level of
>> Nvidia driver.  I changed back to Nvidia's 3123 level and haven't seen
>> any trace of the bad file descriptor problems since on either RH 8.0
>> or Win98.  It's been running for about two weeks now straight without
>> problems.
>>
>> I have another RH 8.0 system dual booting with XP Pro.  It has a
>> GEForce3 card in it and is using the 4191 drivers without problems????
>>

> I have a Matrox G450, I highly doubt that the problem is related to
> anything Nvidia...
>
> Regards,
> Tim

I also don't see a connection either but haven't experienced the symptoms
since I changed drivers almost two weeks ago.  I've been trying to do
everything that's caused the bad file descriptor error messages.

In any case, I do believe I had a video problem as I was getting lockups
and errors about gnome failing to release video pages.  My lockups mainly
occurred just after 4:00am when I believe rebuilddb runs.  That's why I
was linking the two.

If you've got a Matrox then bad rpm database descriptors aren't related to
Nvidia binary drivers.

Gerry