> Gerry Doris wrote:
> I want to do some disk rearranging and it would be really convenient if my
> partition were ext2 instead of ext3.
>

>From the EXT3.FAQ

Q: How do I convert my ext3 partition back to ext2?

Actually there is only little need to do so, because in most cases it is
sufficient to mount the partition explicitely as ext2. But if you really need to
convert your partion back to ext2 just do the following on an umounted
partition:    tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hdaX

To be on the safe side you should force a fsck run on this partition
afterwards:    fsck.ext2 -f /dev/hdaX

After this procedure you can safely delete the .journal file if there was any.