On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 03:30:51PM -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:

>Well... I've finally found another useful use for all those USB ports...
>:')

>I just finished putting together an external USB enclosure and a western
>digital 80gig for use as a backup medium and data swapper. Interestingly
>enough, it works.

>I had some real "lock up" issues with kernel 2.4.20 usb drivers, but the
>2.4.21-rc4 patch seems to have fixed most of them... What seems to be
>happening is... cp'ing files to the usb harddrive goes along smoothly until
>at a random moment the transfer stalls and the system load begins a steady
>spiral up...  until total lockup. I've seen system load numbers from top
>reaching 12.00.

I've played with USB 2.0 and FireWire 400 using a SIIG PCI combo card with
Mandrake 9.0 and SuSE 8.1.  I was somewhat put off by the mandrake comments
warning against using USB for data storage so have been using FireWire
where available.

I've picked up some external 120GB drives in chassis that support both USB
and FireWire which allows me to swap the drives between systems freely.
It's nice to be able to plug the same drive into a laptop with USB 1.0 and
a server with FireWire, with the only consideration being that they both
understand the file system.

>USB 2.0 is lightyears faster than 1.0, but it won't set any records.

I'll stick with FireWire where available since I think it's been more
thoroughly trashed over the years than USB (now if I could get OS X to grok
reiserfs or xfs :-).

>Right no though, I've got to go run the snow blower again. It's STILL
>snowing here in New Jersey. My car? I can't even see it...

Boy, I'm glad I don't live on the East Coast now.  I gave up cold winters
and hot, humid summers when I left the D.C. area in 1983, and haven't
regretted it even a little bit.

Bill

The essence of all slavery consists in taking the produce of another's
labor by force. It is immaterial whether this force be founded on ownership
of the slave or ownership of the money that he must get to live on.
    Leo Tolstoy 1891