I placed an order on an apple ibook last week and it's scheduled to be
available for pickup midweek.  I'll be acquiring an airport (802.11b) card at
roughly the same time so that I can tap into the wireless network at
university.

I've been considering either acquiring one of those Linksys WAPs or a Linksys
wireless PCI card and hooking it up to my server so I can enjoy some newfound
portability around the house.  I had some rather poor experiences with linux
compatibility of linksys NICs before, but the drivers appear to compile on my
server.  Kurt: you mentioned in the Wireless networking SxS that you're using
some linksys wireless stuff.  Did you encounter any problems getting the
cards to work properly?

Anyways, one thing that has been bothering me is security.  Is it a little
paranoid to be thinking that someone is likely to hack into a WEP-encrypted
(home) network? (WEP ain't exactly stellar encryption, but I understand that
you'd have to sniff the traffic for a while to be able to break through).

I'm aware of NoCatAuth (http://nocat.net) which would appear to offer
authentication support, but (a) it warns against the authenication server and
gateway being the same machine, and (b) ipchains support in NoCatAuth is
borked according to the TODO file in the package and I don't feel any urgent
desire to update that machine.

One other option that has come to mind is using some sort of (encrypted) VPN
tunnelling over the wireless connection.  Hopefully there's some easy way to
make this basically invisible to the end user after the initial setup.  Has
anyone experimented with an approach like this?  Would something like this
add much CPU overhead? (server is a p233 mmx).

David Aikema