On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 01:25:37PM -0500, Lee wrote:
>Trying to install SUSe 8.1 on a trip;e boot system with Win98, Mandrake 9.0.
>Have three cdrom type devices on the box a DVD/CD Burner hdb, a dvd/cdrom
>combo reader hdc, and a cdburner hdb. On the Mandrake every thing works fine.
>On install Mandrake set up the icons as CDROM1,2,3.  Each works independently
>of the others when accesses. With SUSe 8.1 10 separate icons are placed on
>the KDE #.0 Desktop. Five for the DVDRom burner and five for the DVD/CD combo
>reader. Accessing of these and the only that responds is the dvd/cd burner.
>The CDROMS are installed as: DVD burner primary slave, CDROM burner Secondary
>Master and the DVD/CDROM reader is the secondary slave.
>
>How do I get SUSe 8.1 to install only one icon per drive, and get that drive,
>and only that drive to access through the Desktop icon?

Are these CD/DVD devices SCSI?  This sounds like the type of thing one
might encounter with erroneous LUN probing or perhaps two SCSI devices on
SCSI-ID=7.

There might also be problems if the /home/$user directories are shared
amongst different Linux distributions.  I had a bunch of extra Desktop
icons left over from a Caldera 3.1.1 Workstation install when I switched
the machine to SuSE 8.1.

Bill

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human.  At best he
is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not
make messes in the house.
                -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"