On Tuesday 25 February 2003 01:13 pm, Net Llama! wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Bill Campbell wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 02:51:25PM -0500, Tom Wilson wrote:
> > >Yes.  ncurses 5.2-28 is installed but I guess these drivers just want
> > >version 4.
> >
> > In many cases, making a symbolic link from the later shared library to
> > the one required will work along with the --nodeps options.  It's
> > probably a better idea to get the source RPM and rebuild it so it picks
> > up the correct libraries.
>
> What he said  :)
>
> unfortunately, libncurses5 is not all that backwards compatible, and alot
> of stuff just won't run right if it needs 4, but you have 5.  youv'e got
> nothing to lose by forcing nodeps.

<rant>
Just a minor one.  My least favorite feature of gnu - linux - gcc - glibc - or
pick-a-package is that everything seems to be re-architected at almost every
release.  Nothing seems ever to be compatible from release to release.  I'm a
little bit isolated from this on gentoo, because the source package prereqs
the appropriate version and any prereqs get installed first.  Nevertheless,
this is not a really good feature (tm).
</rant>
--
Collins Richey - Denver Area