Well, things are better. The thing  (gcc) compiled and installed.
 I now have two version of gcc on my computer:

 -rwxr-xr-x   2 root     root       216884 Feb 26 21:17 /usr/local/bin/gcc
 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       203694 Dec 14 12:46 /usr/bin/gcc
 I have a similar pair of files for g++.

 Now, the old g++ won't compile things, giving a library error. This is
 the entire reason for this exercise. The new g++ seems to work. My
 problem is, when I try to configure abiword, the configure script only
 tries the old version. So, I just renamed the old version to something
 other than g++ or gcc, and the configure script finds the new versions
 of gcc and g++. Is this kosher?

 Anyway, the configure script now  runs for abiword, but now I get the following
 error during configure, which doesn't stop the configuration but stops the
 make.

 checking for jpeg_start_decompress in -ljpeg
 gcc -o conftest    conftest.c -ljpeg   >&5
 /usr/lib/libjpeg.so: undefined reference to `atexit@@GLIBC_2.0'

 This happens while it is configuring wv. This GLIBC_2.0 is suspicious, since
 I have  2.2.5, I think.

 Do I need a new jpg library? jpeg is  a link to libjpeg.so.62.0.0

 Any insight appreciated,

 Joel