On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 01:10:19PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Anyone out there set up a linux box to act as a router using a DSL modem
>that could offer some tips?  I will be upgrading my sister's router from
>a Dial up ISP to Verizon DSL service.  Of course, I had to initially set it
>up under windblowz, but want to switch it back to linux as a router. I
>had her under SuSE 7.2 and upgraded to SuSE 8.0 for ease of setup.

Our ``router'' here is a Linux box with a Sangoma WAN card attached to an
Adtran CSU/DSU and T1.  Our newer routers are using Sangoma cards with
built-in CSU/DSUs (we got thoroughly screwed by Cyclades when they sold us
incompatible cards then charged a restocking fee when they wouldn't work).

It's not difficult to use any Linux box as a firewall and router with IP
masquerading (NAT), but we have gone with the LinkSys BEFVP41 VPN boxes for
most of our customer sites.  They're cheap (under $140US at CompUSA),
provide DHCP and NAT, can forward selected ports to machines on the
internal private network, and handle multiple VPN tunnels compatible with
FreeS/WAN, FreeBSD, and Winblows software.  NetGear has similar boxes, but
we haven't been able to get their VPN to talk to FreeS/WAN or FreeBSD
systems.  There are also similar boxes without the VPN capabilities for
under $100US.

The LinkSys boxes have one LAN port to connect to the Cable/DSL ``Modem'',
and a four port 10/100 switching hub.  Setup is via a web browser, and is
very simple.  I have had some problems with Opera and the javascript used
by the LinkSys, so occassionally have to use Mozilla or another browser.

>1.  DO I leave the ppp0 setup under my firewall?

No.

>2.  Do I need 2 NIC cards or not.  It is not clear from SuSE's SDB site

I would.  One for the public side, and one for the private internal
network.

Bill

``People from East Germany have found the West so confusing. It's so much
easier when you have only one party.'' -- Linus Torvalde, Linux Expo Canada
when asked about confusion over many Linux distributions.