On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:37:41 -0800
"Net Llama!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> does anyone have any experience running linux on big memory
> configurations (greater than 4GB)?  i'm going to need to upgrade a box
>
> to 8GB in the near future, and i was wondering if there were any
> special
>   considerations (other than builing a kernel with bigmem support)?

I have one client running Oracle on a big SMP system.  It really is just
configuring for 64Mb support.  If free says you only have 3Mb or some
such, then you don't have 64Mb support turned on.

Now, depending on what you're running on that monster, you may need to
tweak some kernel parameters in /proc (I had to for my client).  But
things like that come in the instructions with those programs (like
Oracle) needing it.  (I also had to adjust the user environment on login
too.)

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                Nemesis Racing Team motto