On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 06:47:47AM -0500, dep wrote:
>begin  Kurt Wall's  quote:
>| It's up to
>| SCO to prove beyond reasonable doubt that what they allege _did_
>| happen; it's not up to IBM to prove that SCO's allegations are
>| false.
>
>right, with one proviso: the standard in a civil case is preponderence
>of the evidence, bot reasonable doubt.

The standard in a civil trial in the U.S. is really the amount of money the
lawyers can extract from all parties involved.  I would modify the ``loser
pays'' used in some places in Europe to require the lawyers of the loser to
pay, not the people they're representing.

Of course would be very difficult to implement in the U.S. where the vast
majority of legislators are lawyers, the Democratic party is a wholly owned
subsidiary of the ATLA (American Trial Lawyers Association), and here in
the state of Washington, the judges routinely throw out citizen initiatives
that threaten the power of the policitions.

Bill

``If the future navigation system [for interactive networked services on
the NII] looks like something from Microsoft, it will never work.''
(Chairman of Walt Disney Television & Telecommunications)