Hi all,

I have been experiencing some weird behavior of the X display at work for over
a year now.  I searched the web and didn't find much about this problem.  I am
wondering if it is a configuration issue or a bug in XFree.

I have a no-name PC at work, IA32, 2.2Ghz, 1/2G memory.  While the PC is a
"no-name", I think it is manufactured by IBM.  I initially installed RedHat
7.2, then 7.3, then 8.0 (brand new install for 8.0).  When I log into the X
server, over the course of the day, the =/+ key turns into a backspace (VERY
annoying for one who writes code).  Sometimes it happens right away, sometimes
it takes several hours.  I've tried NIS login vs local, thinking it might be
something in my environment.  I've tried gnome vs kde and it still occurs.

I also have a laptop for work (ibm thinkpad t22) which had w2k installed and I
repartitioned and installed RH 8.0 (dual boot).  Low and behold the same thing
happens on the laptop when plugged into the network at work (I've only seen it
with the NIS log in, though).

Now at home I have a Dell and a Presario w/ Redhat 8.0 (and other distros over
the last few years).  I leave myself logged in for days, weeks, etc and have
*never* seen this phenomena.  I often bring the laptop home and work for
several hours under RH and haven't noticed this problem.

Another interesting observation: my co-worker runs Xfree under cygwin on the
same PC hardware (no-name) on the network at work, and has noticed the same
phenomona.

It is really weird and very hard to trace.  I have no idea what causes it and
have tried to pay attention to the apps I run and what I do in a day.  I also
looked at .xsession-errors and didn't see anything that was off except the
following lines:

    Invalid entry (missing '=') at /usr/bin/gqview

And the "at /usr/bin/gqview" is substituted by a variety of other executables
(pam-panel-icon:#, /usr/bin/rhn-applet-gui:#, etc.).  This is probably a
red-herring and I noticed it because of the "=".  And I see the same errors in
my .xsession-errors at home (which doesn't have these symptoms).

Pretty weird, huh?  Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

=====