OK, it appears that Slack by default has installed the latest and
greatest xfree86-4.3.0-i386-2.  The version that I am using on gentoo
(it works) is xfree-4.2.1-r2.  I notice that XFree86-4.2.1.1 is
available in the Slack 9.0 pasture directory.  Several gentoo users have
commented that 4.3.0 isn't all that stable.  Note, I'm using the
built-in support (yeah, it's not that great) for my gforce2MX rather
than screwing around with the nvidia kernel support.

How do I go about overlaying xfree on my Slack system?  I was hoping to
find info in the howto, but I didn't.

--
Collins