Well, I'm feeling a little bit dumb now as the source of the problem was
somewhere I probably should have looked at earlier.

What turned out to be the problem was that ownership of /dev/ttyS0 had
somehow been transferred to root from uucp, and thus cu (running setuid
uucp) was unable to access the serial port.

David Aikema